Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Post #13

I have to admit that this weekend was easier for me to do a media fast than usual. My fiancé’ and I were going to my hometown fore wedding showers all weekend so I was not in my regular routine. I began my fast on Thursday night at 8:00 p.m. and it ended Friday night at 8:00 p.m. The drive home was a little strange at first without the radio. But my fiancé and I had a great 3 hour talk! When we got to my parent’s house the T.V. was on and I told them what I was doing and they were glad- because we talked! My first instinct the next morning was to turn on my cell phone and check for any messages and grab my laptop to see any new postings on Facebook. I didn’t though! Throughout the day several of my friends called my fiancé wondering why I wasn’t answering my phone and there were many times throughout the day that I wanted to call someone but there are very few landlines left! I learned from this experience that I am dependent on media not only for my communication with others but for my own entertainment. It killed me not to watch Sports Center for one day. It is why I chose to do the fast before the NBA play-offs started on Saturday. I really missed checking and communicating with my friends on Facebook but I learned I am really dependent on my cell phone. I know that when my students come to me that they will be media-dependent. It has just become a way of life. Google gives us instant answers to most of our questions, Facebook allows us to interact with others without actually being with them and we can just about talk to anyone, anywhere, and this is their world. I hope to utilize the media that is available to teach my students to engage in their own learning by making use of all that is available. I think their reaction to a media-fast will be much harder for them than it was for me because I can still remember when there were no cell phones or laptop computers!

No comments:

Post a Comment