Sunday, February 12, 2012

MY FIRST C4T ASSIGNMENT

      For my first C4T assignment, I was given Tina Barseghian’s blog, Mind Shift. A blog that gives information on technology that is revolutionizing the world of education replacing familiar classroom tools and changing the way we learn. My first comment was left on her blog post entitled What Does Your School Know About You? In this post, Miss Barseghian talks about how more schools and colleges are using algorithms to determine a student’s path. Much in the same way as Amazon and Netflix are able to use software to predict books, music, and movies you might like based on your past preferences. It seems that the practice of data mining will soon be the norm in how schools and students operate. For example, at Purdue University a program called Course Signals are being used to help by warning students who are at risk of poor grades and “ facilitates intervention and support” that can help them improve. I think the algorithm programs are just part of the education curve in this day of technology. It’s hard to argue with results of some of these programs such as Perdue’s Course Signals where the program has been consistent with grade performance improvement at both the course and developmental levels. In some cases, students who were receiving C’s and D’s have pulled up half a letter grade or more. So it seems to be beneficial.
      The second blog post from Miss Barseghian in which I commented was
As Digital Tools Abound, Help Kids Self Regulate. This time, Miss Barseghian discusses how with tablets, laptops, apps, and online games there is great promise in technology to inpsire and excite students to learn with digital tools. But that using technology in and of it self is not a silver bullet for motivating children to love learning and doesn’t guarantee they’ll use it for creative and innovative learning. Stressing how important a students initiative, self-efficacy and ability to set goals are essential, I thought the post had a great point in how education is moving towards using digital media to teach. It is important for us as teachers to help our students develop learning strategies so they are able to stay on topic. It was a great post for anyone who is an educator giving good strategies to help keep your students innovative and motivated to learn. Self-regulation will become an essential life skill to cultivate in this day in age with technology.

2 comments:

  1. I read both of your blogs you did for C4T and I found them to be interesting and informative, but lets start with your first post "What Does Your School Know About You" and discuss your points. I liked the way you were able to generalize the topic without losing the per-tenant information. If I had not read this article I believe I still would have been able to discuss it in an informed way, just on what you wrote. Although, I do feel that you need to work on a couple of things in your future posts. The first opportunity, I found is a switch from singular to plural in the middle of your post. This made it hard to follow and I was not sure if you were discussing multiple programs or just one program. Second, you summarized the article very well, but I was not sure where the article ended and your comment began or even if you put one in your post. Maybe you could add a definite line break, to show where your summary ends and your comment begins. This will definitely help your readers on future posts. As for your second post in C4T, "As Digital Tools Abound, Help Kids Self Regulate" I found the same opportunity in a defined end of your summary and a defined beginning of your comment. There were issues with spelling and word placement, which can easily be fixed with reading aloud or letting someone else read your post. Overall this post flowed better and seemed to improve from the previous attempt. In the end I still feel informed on what you wrote, even though there were minor issues. I really appreciate your post and I look forward to reading more of them in the future.

    Thank You,

    Jason Lynch
    EDM310 MW4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also Class 8 Assignment Answer

    ReplyDelete